Tajikistan reportedly seeks direct investments for construction of a tourist base in Ishkashim district of the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region (GBAO).

According to the State Committee on Investments and State-owned Property Management (GosKomInvest), 2.5 million U.S. dollars are needed for construction of that tourist base and the investment will pay off in two years.  The profitability of investments is estimated at 71.8 percent.  

Incomes from tourism activities will be exempted from payment of the income tax during five years from the date of the state registration of the project. 

Besides, the delivery of equipment and building materials for tourist facilities (hotels, health sanatoriums and resorts, tourist centers and so forth) will be exempted from payment the value added tax (VAT) and customs duties.

Moreover, customs duties on new cars delivered to the country for tourist purposes will be cut by 50 percent.  

One hectare of land will be allotted for construction of the tourist base in GBAO’s Ishkashim district. 

Over the first three months of this year, more than 215,000 foreign tourists have reportedly visited Tajikistan.  Experts say the tourism season starts in the country in May and the number of foreign tourists visiting Tajikistan will gradually increase.

According to the statistical data from the Tourism Development Agency, 1.040 million foreign tourists visited Tajikistan last year, which was nearly 2.5 times more than in 2017.

Incomes of tourist companies reportedly rose 86 percent in a year to December 31, 2018, reaching 1.795 million U.S. dollars.  In 2017, incomes of tourist companies reportedly amounted to 962,000 U.S. dollars.

According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, the direct contribution of Travel and Tourism to Tajikistan’s gross domestic product (GDP) is forecasted to rise by 3.9% from 2018-2028 to US$316.5 million or 2.5 per cent of total GDP in 2028.  The total contribution of Travel and Tourism to GDP is forecasted to rise by 4.4% to US$883.1 million or 6.9 per cent to GDP in 2028.  Travel and Tourism investment is expected to rise 6.2 per cent in next ten years to 2028, reaching US$165.7 million.